Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Eventually, I'll understand

180 degres, Threadle, Argh!

Woohoo! For the last several weeks, we've graduated to working with TWO jumps. I admit the weather hasn't permitted me to practice Susan Garrett's exercices from the "Success With One Jump" DVD, but I promise to be a better student.

The 180 degree turn doesn't cause us any problems, exept for the focus forward.

The threadle is another story. We've been working on it for the three weeks and I couldn't figure how to make Jasmine understand to join me between the two jumps. Nope, she would take the jump, hesitate, and retake the same jump. At our lesson with CB last Monday, Jasmine accomplished a good threadle so mission accomplished. I have to be careful though. CB suggested that I stay beside Jasmine and not in front of the jump as I was doing before.

Other detail: Put up my hand to get Jasmine's attention before starting an exercice.
Most important detail: Criteria, criteria, criteria. I'm not constant with my praises, commands and you name it.

What to remember:

Don't overdo it with the praising. Basically, if she does a good deed, praise. A better deed, praise a wee bit more. A greater than life deed, praise like she just learned how to read and write.

Don't let her reinforce herself. Sniffing instead of listening to my commands, make mini-zoomies at the end of her leash when she realises I'm going behind the house to play or train with her, not give her repeated commands which she ignores, etc etc,.

It won't be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment