Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Slowly but surely...

Another plateau has been conquered I think. CB kept us very busy during our lesson yesterday, but with great results! Last winter, we had attempted Diagrams 1, 2, and 3 from Greg Darrett’s “Great Dog, Shame about the Handler”. At that time, Jasmine wasn’t capable of doing more than 2 to 3 jumps without zooming.

What changes winter and practices can bring. Yesterday, we did those same diagrams. I was so confident that Jasmine would zoom away, that I didn’t take the time to program my head to remember the sequence after the third jump. Was I ever wrong! Yet again, I underestimated my mutt and sure enough, she zoomed away alright, but only after I hesitated in the sequence.

At our second try, Jasmine leaves me to join one of her boyfriends, Fidget, who was working close by. She had to say hello, didn’t she?

We hit jackpot at our third try. I don’t lose her and we completed the sequence.

Reason for our success: Keep my eye on her and don’t hesitate.

What a great day!

Other improvements :

She can now keep her balance on two dyna discs.
She comes back to me when I call her during a zoomie.

Must work on:

Jasmine has trouble staying in her crate when the door is closed (or open for that matter). She even tore the netting on the crate. Bad Jasmine!
We’re still having trouble with the basket. Yes, CB, it’s a new one with lower edges.
Keep an eye on Jasmine during sequences. Always.

Anecdote:

I think I’m now part of the hard core agility crowd. The lesson was outside and we kept on working even when it got dark. The moon was out and here I was taking notes by the light of the barn, which isn’t very useful by the way. If there’s no movement, it shuts off.

Homework for the week (time and venue permitting)

Keep working with the basket
Find an extra dyna disc from someone
Try diagram 3 from the DVD
Try the exercice CB explained called « slicing ».Start working on the 2 x 2
More crate games

4 comments:

  1. nose touches, don't forget to work on nose touches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and by the way, she only zoomed once. The first try through she didn't zoom, you just got lost. It was very exciting to see you complete that whole sequence! YAY :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the decreased zooming!! "Slowly but surely..." you'll get there! :)

    ~Nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yahoo! Congratulations on more great progress!

    ReplyDelete