Saturday, January 15, 2011

And we're back!

After more than a two months' absence, Jasmine and I have attended our agility handling class.  I was very excited since this was supposed to be a "dog-filled weekend" and this lesson was just the beginning.

Our instructor set up a course where rear crosses, threadles, and serpentines were required.  All of these moves are challenges for us, so although I complained about it, I knew that it was for the best.

Rear crosses


The rear cross attempt wasn't bad.  I may not have been at the precise spot that our instructor was aiming for, but it was a rear cross.  I didn't slow down, neither did Jasmine, and we nailed it, twice I believe.

Threadles

It's unfortunate that I'm to embarrassed to ask someone to video.  I know that during our last run, two threadles were required, and I did the appropriate arm movements.  If it worked is quite another story.

Serps

The last run had a serp.  If I did it the right is still beyond me.  I have videos from last year where I'm practicing serps at the local agility field.  I can't make myself watch them.  It ain't pretty.

It's yer choice

Jasmine has been exiting the course ring early in trials, just before the last of second last jump.  The reason behind this is the reward she expects to receive at the end of the run.  I took the opportunity during this lesson to do some "It's yer choice".  Jasmine left the practice ring too early, again, and I called her back.  She had to finish her run before getting her reward, and even then, she had to play with her tug before.  I hope she'll remember this next weekend at the trial.

Overall result

Apart from my timing, which was off, things went very well.  Jasmine is responsive to my commands.  No zoomies manifested themselves.  What could I as for more?

Dog-filled weekend

I decided not to go at the January Fun Match offered at a local agility venue.  The forecast for 5 to 10 centimetres of snow scared me, and I decided to head home instead.  My weekend at my parents' was also cut short.  Sigh.  Driving during the day during a snowfall doesn't phase me.  It's the nighttime driving that gets to me.  I hate not being able to see the road.

1 comment:

  1. Well, if it makes you feel any better, rear crosses, threadles, and serpentines are challenges for me, too. Like you say, all the more important to practice them, eh? (uh, note to self... I haven't practiced them in a while!!)

    ReplyDelete